World-wide 30" Gauge Railways

(inc. 750 & 760 mm gauge lines)

Part of the CLASIG narrow gauge web site.

A to C

Home     D to L     M to R     S to Z


Additions, corrections and suggestions to:


Kabul - Darulaman Variously quoted as 5 miles and 7km. Roadside tramway. 1923-1942? Two 30" Henschel 0-4-0T was supplied through India to Afganistan in 1923, and apparently are still in a Kabul museum.
Hughes, Hugh. 1994. Indian Locomotives Part 3, Continental Railway Circle, Harrow.




Shkodër - Vlorë
Lezhë - Velipoje
Ishem - Tiranë
Rrogozhinë - Strmen
Lushnjë - Berat


Private mineral lines in the Patok and Sukth areas, built pre-1939, closed late 1940's.




Societe Anonyme des Mines du Zaccar. Served iron mine. Operated 0-4-0+0-4-0 Garratts.



Antigua Sugar Factory 1903-1971. 50 miles, extended by 10 miles when Bendals sugar factory was taken over and it's line converted from 2' gauge. The Bendals line was closed in 1958. A Kerr Stuart 0-6-2T was supplied in 1927. Origionally an oil burner it was converted to coal and sugar cane waste. It is preserved at the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway in the United Kingdom. Earlier locos were 0-4-0T and 0-4-2T, later petrol engines and finally in the 1950's some small diesels.
Thorne, G. Scrapbook of Narrow Gauge Drawings 1996, 7mm Narrow Gauge Association.




Southern Argentina had a number of 750mm lines. At one point, the Government bought 50 Henschel and 25 Baldwin 2-8-2's as part of a plan to open up the country. These locos provided the motive power for many of these lines.

Tourist trains run on the Esquel and are proposed for the Rio Turbio lines. Trains still operating on the Esquel line. This list was largely compiled by Jorge Garreta Mendoza. The following web site has a full history.

FC Central del Chubut, (1922 - ?) 160 miles. A Welsh enterprise built to meter gauge. In 1922 Welsh investors and Argentine government seal an arrangement and began relaying to 750, but didn't gain constitutional approval till many years later.

Ingeniero G. Jacobacci - Esquel. The famous "Old Patagonia Express". 402km line constructed spasmodicly from 1929-1942, still open in 2002. Government 2-8-2's used.
Taylorson, K. Narrow Gauge Rails to Esquel 1999. self published, Brghton, UK

Comodoro Rivadavia pier and the Rada Tilly line. 20km line associated with breakwater construction, but also used as passenger line.

Darwin - Conesa and ended at Ingenio San Juan . 66m/106km line to serve the sugar beet industry.

Rio Turbio Railway (1950 - present). 262km. Coal hauler. Opened using Government 2-8-2's, then replaced the locos with Mitsubishi 2-10-2's in 1956. Further Mitsubishi 2-10-2's delivered in 1964 are widely regarded as the world's most advanced steam engine. Dieselised 1996 with 6 Faur (Romanian built) diesels, bought secondhand, some of them re-engined with Caterpillar in Buenos Aires. Trains are not running as Mine is currently closed (2002). The railway is protected as a World Heritage site.
NGW 21, September 2002, pp. 7-11.

Lapachito to El Zapallar. 75km railway. Operated 3 2-8-2 and 2 0-8-0 or 0-6-0 Henschels.

FC Peninsula Valdes. Salt carrying line from the Salina Grande salt pan to Puerto Piramides. 1900 - 1916?

Sierra de la Ventana (762mm). This was a line linking Ferrocarril Sud broad gauge namesake station (Buenos Aires province, 501 Km. from Buenos Aires city) with a hotel in the hill (Sierra de la Ventana=Window Hill) There is a hole or window in the rocks. Line run from 1910 to 1920, 2 0-6-2T Avonside locos later sold to Carrizo and Co. in Quilino, Cordoba Province, last of them scrapped in 1942.

F.C. Quijano a branch from meter gauge line from Lapachito to Zapallar, Chaco province.

Tranvia a Vapor de Tucuman. Line built by Tucuman province government in 1916, linking Tucuman city with Aconquija hill. O&K supplied all equipment, abandoned in late forties.

Tranvia a Vapor de Resistencia. Barranqueras Port in Chaco province to Villa Jalon. Connected with line from Colonia Baranda to Resistencia. (Resistencia is capital city to Chaco). Some sawmill and tanine factories at Fontana and Port Tirol, its own lines were 600 mm. but owned 750 mm wagons and cars for transport to port of their own products. Built by Carlos Dodero. Public service, nothing remains today.

Colonia Baranda, Chaco province, from its namesake city (and company) to Resistencia. Compañia Forestal y Ganadera de Colonia Baranda. Owners: Demetrio Baranda, Carlos Dodero and others. Formerly Fratelli Dufour. At Resistencia some rails are still seen (1993).

Florencia a Piraqua, Santa Fe province. This lines conected Port Piraqua in Parana River with Colonia Baranda, via Florencia and Basail, (Santa Fe north and Chaco south boundary) going northwesterly to short of Baranda state, staying in South bank of another river. Expensive cost of bridge precluded a direct connection between lines. Company owned by Dodero, Baranda and others.


F.C. Malagueño (762mm) built by Sr. Ferreyra from Cordoba city (Central Argentino Ry sta.) to lime quarries at Malagueño. Locomotives: 3 Coulliet 0-6-0 (all extant) and 2 Tubize 0-6-2. Line adquired by Central Argentino in 1910 and regauged broad (1.676 mm) following year. Coulliets employed on several diferent places were Central Argentino had its owns quarries (Alta Gracia was onw of them) Coulliets went to National Railway Museum. Tubizes were still extant in 1983 as scrap in Ferreyra lime kilns. Sold as junk probably in 1987/88.

Forestal Land Co. Villa Guillermina-El Rabon- Puerto Piraquacito. Santa Fe province




Akhtala - Shamlug Copper mining.
Gyumri (Leninakan) ?-1988 Childrens Railway
Gyumush 1951-present Eletrified.
Yerevan 1937-present 2.1km Childrens Railway




Victorian Railways operated the following 30" railways commencing 1899 and closing the last one down in 1962. Motive power was a fleet of Baldwin-designed 2-6-2t's and two 2-6-0+0-6-2 Beyer-Garratts. The design of most of the rolling stock was based on US practice of the turn of the century.

Wangaratta - Whitfield 51km/30.5miles 1899-1953
Upper Fern-tree Gully - Gembrook 30.3km/18.2miles 1900-1954
Colac - Beech Forest 49.3km/29.6miles 1902-1962
Beech Forest - Crowes 23.5km/14.1miles 1910-1962
Moe - Walhalla 43.3km/26miles 1910-1954
Welshpool - Port Welshpool (horse powered) 5.3km/3.2miles 1905-?
Photos of locomotives. Use filter on page.

Buderim tramway (Maroochy Shire, Qld) 7 miles. 1913-1935. Krauss 0-6-2t, Shay

Bunyip Junction Tramway Co. Pre-1898-?. 3 miles. Bunyip Junction (VR). Wooden Rails, with both goods and passengers being carried.


Munro's tramway, (Palmtree, near Toowoomba, Queensland) logging. Shays.
Links to photos of locos:

Tyers Valley Tramway (Victoria) 16 miles, 1926-1950, logging line, Climax, tractors.
McCarthy, M. Trestle Bridges and Tramways 1983. Light Railway Research Society of Aust, Surry Hills, Vic, Aust.

The following 2'6" timber tramways are recorded in "Trestle Bridges & Tramways" in the Erica district. The first was built in 1912, and some lasted till the 1940's:
     William Murie (1912) Hotel Creek
     O'Shey and Bennett (1915) Purchaced and extended the Murie operation.
     Monro and Sons (1919) "several" lines, used a loco made from a tractor body mounted on 2 log bogies.
     Phoenix Sawmilling Co (1924) extention of Monro line.
     Christensen and Saxon (1924) Water powered mill.
     Fullwood (1934) 6.5 miles. Operated a six wheeled Days tractor.
McCarthy, M. Trestle Bridges and Tramways 1983. Light Railway Research Society of Aust, Surry Hills, Vic, Aust.

Kawarren 2'7" horse powered tramway from limeworks to station on 2'6" Beech Forest line.

West Melbourne (Victoria) Gas Works small Pecket 0-4-0st and 2 - 0-4-0t Decauvilles. All three locos can be found at the Puffing Billy railway, although one of the Decauvilles has been rebuilt to resemble an American style 2-4-2st.

Metropolitan Gas Co, South Melbourne Gasworks. 1889- prior to 1933. Horse operated, but a loco from West Melbourne may have been tried at one time.

Long Tunnel Extended Gold Mines and associated firewood tramway, Walhalla, Vic. pre 1866-1911. 2 x Bagnall 0-4-0st. Picture of the loco, which was later converted to 2' gauge:

Brampton Island Railway (Queensland) transported tourists around resort.

Forester Tramway (Tasmania) 1911-1941 logging. Krauss 0-6-0wt, Orenstein & Koppel 0-4-0wt
LR Summer 1969-70. pp.22-23.

Whistle-Stop Amusement Park ? - 1998? Steam loco. Near Frankston, Victoria.

Kangaroo Island Salt Tramway 1910-1950. 8.8km, between Salt Lake (or Salt Lagoon) and Muston (American River). Two Kerr Stuart 0-4-2T locos, and later a Days tractor. Line was owned by Commonwealth Salt Refining Co Ltd until 1930, when the company was acquired by Australian Salt Company Limited (basically Cheetham Salt).
LR 117 July 92.

Linga From Linga station (on the Ouyen-Pinnaroo line) to the Pink Lakes, 16km north, Salt. 1923-1929. Original company was Sailor Salt Limited, then a joint arrangement between Mount Lyell and Cheetham (in 1926). Motive power was two internal combustion rail tractors, one a Fordson, the other a Purcell.
LR 112 April 91

Elton Brothers A short wooden railed timber tramway ran from Gould (on the Walhalla line) to Elton Brothers Gould Mill. Only about 1km or so, seemed to only last one year, the mill then being moved to Boggy Creek, 6km to the south west. Tramway ran 3km from the mill to the VR line at the "top of the grade on the up side of the Tyers River". No siding was provided. A log tramway, also of 2'6" gauge, was built in 1923 until the mill closed in 1924. These were horse drawn.

Geelong Waterworks and Sewerage Trust used a 2'6" gauge line to lay the 12 mile pipeline. Lasted from 1912 to 1915. This line used Bagnall b/n 1801, the loco from Long Tunnel Extended.

Glenelg (SA) breakwater construction 1915-1917. This line used Bagnall b/n 1801, from Geelong Waterworks and Sewerage Trust which subsequently went to Cobdogla in 1922 (for which it was regauged to 2').

Port Gregory Salt Tramway, just north of Geraldton, WA, connecting salt fields with the jetty. This was a very short line, only 68 chains, with trolleys pushed by hand on the wooden railways. Lasted 1918-1928 or thereabouts.
LR 134 Oct 1996

Cobar Copper Co. Firewood tramway with 6 locos.
LR 146 Apr 1999
LR 149 Oct 1999


Emerald Tourist Railway Board / Puffing Billy. 24.5km/15miles (Melbourne) Belgrave-Gembrook section of the former Victorian Railways Ferntree Gully - Gembrook line. One of the best known, and I believe the second narrow gauge preserved railway in the world. Operates up to 6 trains a day, every day of the year except Christmas day.

Walhalla Goldfields Railway. Operates the extremely scenic last few miles of the Moe-Walhalla line into the old goldmining ghost town. Uses diesels for motive power.



Austria built a large number of 760mm narrow gauge lines. Many are still with us, some operating ultra-modern passenger equipment, others preserved railways, and others a mixture of the two. The OBB (government railways) operated most lines, but there were several independant routes. The intermingling of regular and preservation services on some lines makes it difficult to divide preserved railways out.


Mariazellerbahn, ÖBB.
     St. Pölten - Ober Grafendorf - Mariazell - Gußwerk, 91 km. Opened between 1898 and 1907. Electrified 6.5 Kv 25 Hz AC 1911. Mariazell - Gußwerk closed c. 1988. Currently operates with 1099 class electric locomotives and 4090 class railcars. Steam excursions operate with a restored Mh class 0-8+4. The shop at St. Pölten Alpenbahnhof serves all the OBB 760 mm lines, so equipment from any OBB line has operated on the Mariazell line at one time or another. (English language)

     Ober Grafendorf - Ruprechtshofen - Gresten, 70 km. (Mariazellerbahn - Grestner Ast)

Ybbstalbahn, ÖBB. Waidhofen an der Ybbs - Gstadt - Kienberg-Gaming, 70 km, branch Gstadt - Ybbsitz. Opened between 1896 and 1899. Kienberg-Gaming to Lunz am See closed by OBB in 1988. This section was reopened by a museum operation in 1990. Another group operates excursion trains on the OBB section Waidhofen-Lunz am See.

Waldviertelbahn (Waldiertlerbahn), ÖBB. Gmünd - Alt Nagelberg and Heidenreichstein 1900-present The original terminal for the line wound up in then-Czechoslovakia in 1920, and the lines were rebuilt to terminate in present Gmünd. Alt Nagelberg-Heidenreichstein closed 1986, taken over by a museum group for tourist and museum operation. Gmünd-Litschau remained open for freight service, however, there is currently no scheduled service on the line. Gmünd - Groß Gerungs 1902/3- present, however, currently no scheduled service. Special trains operate. Fate of all lines currently uncertain.
     Gmund - Gross Gerungs, 42km.
     Gmund - Alt Nagelberg - Litschau, 25km.
     Alt Nagelberg - Heidenreichstein, 12km.

Steyrtalbahn Garsten-Klaus, 40 km, 1889-c.1980, ÖBB. Operated several classes of OBB 0-6-2T, 1975 roster 14 coaches, 131 freight cars. Final OBB train ran between Garsten and Grunberg in 1982. A private museum group has resumed tourist-museum service between Steyr Lokalbahnhof and Grunberg using the former OBB equipment as well as a former Rumanian steam loco.
NGW 21, September 2002, p.18.

Pinzgauer Lokalbahn Zell am See - Krimml, 52 km, 1898-present, freight traffic ended 1998, currently operates passenger traffic as well as steam excursions with preserved OBB 399.01, ÖBB.

Zillertalbahn (Jenbach-Mayrhofen) 1902-present (31 km, ZB, Zillertalbahn)
CM Vol. 25 No. 10, October 2003, pp.424-433.

Bregenzerwaldbahn Bregenz - Bezau, 35 km, 1902-?, (Only 4.7km Bregenz-Kennelbach operating after 1983). ÖBB. (BWB)

Murtalbahn (StLB Unzmarkt-Mauterndorf) 1894-present 1965 roster 3 U class 0-6-2T, 1 Kh class 0-10-0T, 3 diesels; 21 coaches, 143 freight cars (76 km, StLB, Murtalbahn, Taurachtalbahn)

Feistritztalbahn StLB Weiz-Birkfeld-Ratten 1911-present (Birkfeld-Ratten closed 19??). Currently operates freight traffic plus frequent passenger steam excursions using an StLB 0-10-0T and former Yugoslav 83 class 0-8-2+4. (41 km, StLB, Steiermärkische Landesbahnen)

Thorler Bahn 20km, STLB, Kapfenberg - Seebach/Turnau, 1893-1999, passenger service ended 1959, section from Seebach-Turnau to Au-Seewiesen closed 1964.

Stainzer Lokalbahnene 11km, StLB, Preding - Wieselsdorf - Stainz

Salzkammergut-Lokalbahn +1957, 67 km, SKGLB, Salzburg - St. Gilgen - Bad Ischl has English language page Homepage of a group aiming to restore part of the line Another page dedicated to the restoration

Gurktalbahn Trekbach Althorfen - Gurk - Klein Glodnitz, 29km, 1897-1971, OBB. Following closure, a 3 km stretch has been reopened between Treibach-Althofen and Poeckstein as a tourist and museum operation, with several operable steam locos. Weekend operation June through September.

Vellachtalbahn Völkermarkt Kühnsdorf - Eisenkappel, 17 km, ÖBB, Opened 1892, passenger service ended 1965

Lokalbahn Payerbach - Hirschwang 5 km, 1918-1982; passenger service 1926-1963. Primarily an industrial line serving a paper mill. Reactivated as a museum line starting in 1983, Electrified using second-hand construction locos built in 1903, although the final years of regular service were with diesels.

Grestner Lokalbahn Ruprechtshofen - Gresten, 36km.

Mixnitz-St.Erhard 11km.

Feistritztalbahn Birkfield - Ratten, 18km.

Ybbs Tramway 1907-1953, 3km, 2 eletric street cars provided a local service.


There were around 20 industrial lines in Austria using 750/760mm gauge track.

Steiermarkische Landeshahnen 1913-, 11km, StLB, Nixnitz - St. Erhard, 1913-present. Transports manganese ore. Electrified. Passanger traffic ceased 1966.

Schwanberg - Kalkgrub 760 mm ran from GKB station at Schwanberg to a chalk quarry

International Rheinregulierung Lustenau, 90km, still operating, transports stone but passenger excursions are run in summer.

The following site has much additional information:
German language site with modelling info as well as current news:
A link with information about the different classes of Austrian narrow gauge steam power:
Photos of locomotives. Use filter on page.




Baku 1880-? converted to broad gauge.


Baku 78km 1922-? converted to broad gauge. Petroleum industry.
Geydar-Abad (pier) - Revazund 1917-199? closed. Military.
Kedabek 65km. 1865-1920?
Khudat - Mukhtadir (coast of Caspian Sea) - Nabran' - Shimal 35km. Agricultural. Khudat - Mukhtadir section (10km) removed.




The Eastern Bengal Railway
     Khulna-Bagerhat Railway Co. 1918-198? 20 miles in 1958, with 5 steam locos (originally 2-4-0t), 13 coaches, and 8 freight cars.
     Kaunia-Dharlla State Railway 1881-1901 0-0t, 0-4-2t, 2-4-0t. Widened to metre gauge.

Jessore-Jhenidah Light Railway 1913-1936 0-4-4t, 0-6-2t, 2-4-0t, 0-8-0t, mostly German. It's short life could be due to a lack of management. An official report in 1915 states that staff could not nominate one person as their manager!

Hughes, Hugh. 1994. Indian Locomotives Part 3, Continental Railway Circle, Harrow.




Bridgetown and St. Andrews Railways Limited (1898 - 1904),
Barbados Light Railway Company (1905 - 1915),
Barbados Government Railway (1916 bought / 1917 - 1937/1939 sale of material authorised)
line Bridgetown - Batsheba (32km) - St.Andrews (38km), opened 1898 (1881-83 opened as 1.067m gauge, regauged 1898), closed in sections 1934-1937





Khotomel' - uroch.Chapel'skoye Timber carrying 25km
Budy - fortification 25km dismantled
Kobrinskoye peat mining enterprise
Chepeli - Minkovichi 12km
Lyushcha - Veluta - Bol.Chuchevichi - Gotsk 61km Timber. dimantled after 1987



Ambresin - Tavier 720mm gauge. 1872 - 1917. 11 km. Owned by a company called Zaman, the line connected its factory with the standard gauge, however it was a common carrier with passenger service. Dismantled by the German army in World War 1, and replaced by a metre gauge line in 1921.




FC Antofagasta y Bolivia. See Chile.

F.C.. Huanchaca de Bolivia Uyuni to Pulacayo and Huanchaca. Operated by Huanchaca Mining Co. 20miles/33km (1.9 miles electrified 500 V DC) Connected to the FCAB but never re-gauged, possibly because of a 2 mile tunnel. 5 steam locos, 3 electric locos, 1 diesel loco, 47 freight cars (1958) Locos still there 1975.
Turner J.M. and R.F. Ellis 1996 The Antofagasta (Chili) & Bolivia Railway - the story of the FCAB and it's locomotives Trackside Publications.




See Yugoslavia.


Banovici Mining lines using former 760mm Yugoslav steam and diesel locos.



Eljas Pölhö states in an email to the South of the Border mailing list that there were 743km (445 miles) of 760mm gauge track in Brazil in 1911. He suggests that a number of 762/760/750mm lines may have been converted to metre gauge prior to this date.


Estrada de Ferro Oeste de Minas, but went through many name changes. Had Baldwin 4-4-0, 4-6-0 and 2-8-0 delivered between 1889 and 1919. Many still exist. 775km / 465m total trackage.

Main line 602km total length
     Antonio Carlos - Barroso 49km 1880-1983
     Barroso - Tiradentes 37km 1881-1983
     Tiradentes - Sao Joao Del Rei 13km 1881-present. Preserved section.
     Sao Joao Del Rei - Aureliano Mourao 104km 1883-1983
     Aureliano Mourao - Oliveira 69km 1888-c.1960 metre gauged.
     Oliveira - Divinopolis 84km 1890-c.1960 metre gauged.
     Divinopolis - Sao Gonsalo do Para 27km 1890-1965
     Sao Gonsalo do Para - Velho Dataipa 55km 1891-1965
     Velho Dataipa - Martinho Campos 72km 1891-1964
     Martinho Campos - Pompeu 36km 1891-1962
     Pompeu - Paraopeba 57km 1894-1960
Branch Lines
     Ghagas Doria - Aguas Santas 12km 1910-1966
     Aureliano Mourao - Marcaia 19km 1887-c.1960 metre gauged.
     Marcaia - Riberao Vermelho 30km 1888-1966
     Riberao Vermelho - Lavras 9km dual gauge with metre gauge 1908-1965
     Goncalves Ferreira - Itapecerica 35km 1891-c.1960
     Goncalves Ferreira - Claudio 26km 1912-c.1960
     Martinho Campos - Pitanguy 5km 1907-? metre gauged.
     Barbacena - Campolide 10km c.1923-1965
Waters, P. West of Minas Narrow Gauge 2001. PWA, Kent, UK
CM Vol. 24 No. 5, May 2002, pp.212-217.
NGSLG Vol.20, No.2, May-Jun 1994. p.pp.50-51. Drawings.
NGSLG Vol.20, No.3, Jul-Aug 1994. p.60.


Usina Mameluco, Pernambuco. Sugar cane tramway.
Neile, A. ed., 1989, W.G.Bagnall Ltd. Narrow Gauge Locomotives & Rolling Stock 1910, Plateway Press, Brighton.


São João Del Rei - Tiradentes railway. Preserved portion of the EFOM.



BDZ = Blgarski Drzavni Zeleznici (Bulgarian State Railways)
a) Cerven Brjag - Orjahovo, 102.6km, opened in sections 1918-1930, still open 2002
b) Septemvri - Dobriniste, 124.7km, opened in sections 1922-1945, still open 2002
- branch to b): Varvara - Pazardzik, 16.6km, opened 1928, still open 2002
Various 0-6-2T, 0-10-0T & 2-10-2T locos. Dieselised in the 1970s.
NGW 25, April 2003, pp.18-19




Arakan Light Railway (Buthiduang-Maungdaw Tramway). 1919-1926. 18 miles. Operated two 0-6-0+0-6-0, the smallest design built by Beyer Peacock.
Neile, A. ed., 1989, W.G.Bagnall Ltd. Narrow Gauge Locomotives & Rolling Stock 1910, Plateway Press, Brighton.

Madaya Light Railway 1912-1927. 16 miles.
Thaton-Duyinzaik Railway 1885-1907. 8 miles.
These railways used the same locos: 2 x 0-4-2st, 0-6-0st, 0-6-0.

Hughes, Hugh. 1994. Indian Locomotives Part 3, Continental Railway Circle, Harrow.




Wellington Colliery Railway
Link to photo of a loco:

Rio Algon, Ltd., Fort Eire, ON. Operated a fireless 0-4-0 by Porter.



see Sri Lanka.



Most Chilian railways of this gauge were located in mineral-rich northern provences of Chile, which were gained by Chile from Bolivia and Peru in the War of the Pacific, 1879-1884.


FC Antofagasta (Chili) y Bolivia 1873-1928. 1352km. Connected the northern Chile (formally Bolivian) port of Antofagasta with the central Andian plateau of Bolivia. Basicly a mining line serving Nitrate, Copper and Tin/Silver operations. Noted for International Express, with sleepers and diners. In 1925 the railway carried 399,311 passengers and 1,564,941 tons of freight in the Chilian sector. Large number of engines, including 2-6-0, 2-8-0, 0-6-2st, 4-6-0, 4-4-0, 4-8-0, and later 2-8-2, 2-8-4t and 2-6+6-2 Meyer. Many of the tender locos had a saddle tank to increase water capacity. Builders included Baldwin, Rogers (Alco), Hunslet, Kitson, Robert Stephenson, and Henschel. Main line length was 930km (558 miles). The section Antofagasta - Baquedano (97km) was third-railed in metre gauge in 1916.
     Antofagasta - Salar del Carmen 30km 1873-1928 converted to metre gauge.
     Salar del Carmen - Palma Alto 120km 1883-1928 converted to metre gauge.
     Palma Alto - Uyuni (Bolivia) 467km 1889-1928 converted to metre gauge.
     Uyuni (Bolivia) - Oruro (Bolivia) 312km 1892-1916 converted to metre gauge.
Branch lines totaled 422km mostly built to service mines. The Mejillones line was to a new port.
     Conchi - Conchi Viejo 20km 1902-1928 converted to metre gauge.
     San Salvador - Chuquicamata 10km 1902-1928 converted to metre gauge.
     Ollague - Collahuasi 95km 1908-1928 converted to metre gauge.
     Prat - Pampa - Mejillones 76km 1906-1961 Dual gauge 1926 so FCCCAB locos could get to Mejillones workshops.
     (Prat - Pampa lifted 1919)
     Antofagasta - Pampa 35km 1914-1961 Dual gauge 1926 so FCCCAB locos could get to Mejillones workshops.
     O'Higgins - Boquete 111km 1907-1926 converted to metre gauge.
     Cerro Negro - Augusta Victoria 42km 1912-1926 converted to metre gauge.
Turner J.M. and R.F. Ellis 1996 The Antofagasta (Chili) & Bolivia Railway - the story of the FCAB and it's locomotives Trackside Publications.

FC Caleta Coloso a Aguas Blancas (Aguas Blancas Ry) 1902-1961 111 miles. Taken over by the FCAB in 1909, it was subsequently run as a division of the FCAB. Never metre-gauged. In 1958 it had 88 miles 6 locos 3 coaches 362 freight cars.
Turner J.M. and R.F. Ellis 1996 The Antofagasta (Chili) & Bolivia Railway - the story of the FCAB and it's locomotives Trackside Publications.

FC de Junin 1894-1931. 108.2km. This railway consisted of a 1km incline plane, rising from the port to 674 metres above sealevel (in other words a 67.4% grade), a 51km main line from Junin to Oficina Reducto, a 17km branch to Aragon, and 8 other branches totalling 39.2km. Locos consisted of 5 British 0-6-2T, 2 - 0-6+6-0T Fairlies, the only Fairlies I have found on 2'6" rails, and what appears to be the worlds first main-line diesel, an 1-C-1DH built in 1930.
LI No.14, May 1992.

FC Uyuni-Pulacayo Hunslet WD 4-6-0T

Braden Copper Co. Rancagua. Used a large number of Shays , and at least one proposal for a 2-6-6-2t
45 miles of track, 6 steam locos, 14 diesel locos, 11 diesel railcars, 34 coaches, and 339 freight cars in 1958.

Patillos - Lagunas 750mm. 1872 - ? 85km. Nitrate railway in Tarapacá region, which was formally part of Peru.
Braden Copper three truck shay from
Three truck shay used by
Braden Copper Co. Photo from

The following lines seem to be mostly associated with nitrate operations, and were probably lines within nitrate workings:

Taltal Nitrate Co., Shay, Taltal
Granja & Pompinia, Shay, Galeta Colosa,
Perfetti Jeffery & Co., Taltal
Bruna Sampaio & Co., Antofagasta
W. R. Grace & Co., Valparaiso
Wessel Duval & Co., Antofagasta
Lautaro Nitrate Company, Ltd., Antofagasta
London Nitrate Co?
British firms also exported industrial locos in 2'6" gauge to Chile.
Neile, A. ed., 1989, W.G.Bagnall Ltd. Narrow Gauge Locomotives & Rolling Stock 1910, Plateway Press, Brighton.



Large number of public, logging, mining and industrial lines, many still operating. The most common locomotive was the C2 0-8-0. Also diesel's and electric locos. The following link covers a great many of them:

Jiayang Coal Railway Shixi, Sichuan. 4 steam passanger trains daily still service roadless area (2003). Coal trains operate with eletric locos.
NGW 24, Feb-Mar 2003, p.31.

Antung-Mukden Military Ry (Manchuria) 1905, built by Imperial Japanese Army, converted to 4'8-12" gauge 1907. Baldwin 0-6-0, 0-6-0t.


Congo, Democratic Republic of


Compagnie du CF du Congo. Matadi - Kinshasa (Leopoldville) 1890-1932, converted to 3'6" gauge. Built to by-pass the lower rapids on the Congo River.Operated a large fleet of 0-6-0T, 0-6-2T, 2-6-2T, 32 - 0-6-0+0-6-0 Garratts, and finally 5 - outside-framed 2-8-2.

Durrant, A.E., A.A. Jorgensen, C.P. Lewis. Steam in Africa, London, 1981, Hamlyn.


Cook Islands

Rarotonga Steam Railway. 2002-present. 1km. Operates a Polish 0-8-0. Planned extention to Sheraton Hotel complex.



No information available. Can you help?




F.C. de Caibarien a Moron 50 miles, 10 steam locos, 2 diesels, 10 diesel railcars, 4 coaches, 53 frreight cars.(1958)


Locomotive from G.A. Manalich. Photo: Jack Treves
Locomotive from G.A. Manalich. Photo: Jack Treves

Cuban sugar railways:

Central Gregorio Arlee Manalich
Central Osvaldo Sanchez
Central Humberto Alvarez
Central Mal Tiempo
Central Espartaco (27.5" gauge)
Central Pepito Tey
NGW 15, Oct/Nov 2001, pp.7-8.
Central Esteban Hernandez
Central Augusto Cesar Sandino

Central Rafael Freyre (formerly Central Santa Lucia) 148km. Sugar railway. Operated Baldwin ?2-8-0?
NGSLG Vol.20, No.3, Jul-Aug 1994. pp.50-51. Drawings.

Many stunning photos including railcars, lineside scenes on this French language site:
Many photos of locomotives. Use filter on page.
Photos from various sugar lines:
Steam loco list:
NGW 19, June 2002, pp.26-31.
NGW 25, April 2003, pp.26-28
NGSLG Vol.23, No.3, Jul-Aug 1997. pp.82-87.




Cyprus Government Railways, 1904-1951, 70 miles. Hunslet 0-6-0t, Nasmyth Wilson 4-4-0, 2-6-0, 2-6-2t, Kitson 4-8-4t, rail bus.
NGW 21, September 2002, pp.14-17


Cyprus Mines Corp. Mining. 15 miles. Baldwin 0-6-2ST, 0-8-2ST, 2-8-2ST and 0-8-2T, and Orenstein & Koppel 0-8-2T, and about 10 4w diesels from Plymouth & Vulcan.

Cyprus Chrome Co.. Mining.

NGW 21, September 2002, pp.14-17


Czech Republic

JHMD - Jundrichohradecke Misti Drahy 79km, still operating.
Jidrichov Hradec-Obratan (44 km)
Jidrichov Hradec-Nova Bystrica. (30 km)

Tremesna ve Slezsku - Osoblaha 20km. 1898-present. Still operating. Used Austrian "U" class 0-6-2T, latter rail motor coaches and diesels. Freight traffic ended 1997.

Ondrasov - Dvorce na Morave, opened 1898, closed 1933.

Frydlant - Hermanice, 750mm gauge effectively an extension of the Zittau - Markersdorf line of the Saxon State Railways, but this was at the time in the Austro-Hungarian empire. Opened 1900, came under Czech control after WWI, then under German control in 1938. After WWII part of the Zittau - Markersdorf line came under Polish control, while the Zittau - Oybin and Jonsdorf lines remained in East Germany. The Czech section had a couple of breaks in passenger service and finally closed in 1976.


Home     D to L     M to R     S to Z

For a change in pace, visit our host:
Moonlit Sanctuary