Sierra Leone Government Railways, 320 miles, 500km. 1896 - 1974
Freetown - Songo. 50km. 1896.
Songo - Bo. 176km. 1902.
Bo - Pendembu. 89km. 1911.
Makeni branch. 135km. 1914.
Makeni - Kumrabai. 35km. 1915-1930?
Freetown suburban branch. 9km. 191?-1929. Rose 250m with 1:22 grades.
Durrant et al give a history of the locomotive fleet, which is summarised here:
1897. 2 - 0-6-0T Hunslett.
1898. 1 - 0-4-0ST Bagnell.
1898 - 1920. 21 - 2-6-2T Hunslett.
1902 - 1908. 6? - 0-6-0T
1902 - 1908. 5 - 2-8-2T.
1910 - 1913. 6 - 4-8-0 Nasmyth Wilson.
11 more later built by Hawthorne Leslie and North British.
1926 - 1929. 7 - 2-6-2+2-6-2 Beyer-Peacock.
1940? 6 - 2-8-0 Swiss built for India in 1920, supplied to help with war traffic.
1942 -1943. 6 - 2-6-2+2-6-2 Beyer-Peacock.
5 of the 2-6-2+2-6-2 Garratts were later converted to 2-8-0+0-8-2, giving a 15% increase in haulage capacity.
1947 - 1954. 21 - 2-6-2T Hunslett.
1956. 14 - 4-8-2+2-8-4 Beyer-Peacock.
These Garratts weighted 70 tons and had a tractive effort of 24,250 lbs.
1957. 8 main-line diesels arrive.
There were 30 diesels by 1962, however the lack of reliability meant steam survived till the closure of the system.
Howard Clarke advises there were additional locos aquired 1944:
20 - 4-8-0 , the order was split equally between Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Ltd., of Kilmarnock and W. G. Bagnall Ltd of Stafford.
These 4-8-0's differed from earlier engines that had 6 wheel tenders in that they had bogie tenders and they weighed 2.625 tons heavier.
Kysuce – Orava 107.5km. 1917-1972, although seasonal tourist services operate on a section of about 4km based at Vychylovka. Forestry railway. Operated with a series of switchbacks. http://www.kruzok.host.sk/E_IND.HTM
Namaqualand Railway 96 miles (+ 8 miles industrial) 1866 - 1944. Built to serve copper mines, this line pre-dates 3'6" lines in South Africa. At the time 2'6" gauge was proposed for all railways in South Africa, but 3'6" won out by a small majority. Photo of some rolling stock: http://www.southafrica-travel.net/namaqua/e5_spbok.htm
Walvis Bay line 12 miles 1897 - 1906. Walvis Bay now part of Namibia.
Spanish lines were to 750mm gauge, and were a minority narrow gauge compared with metre gauge. Other narrow gauge lines were found in the unusual gauge of 650mm. Spanish lines largely used small steam locos manufactured by German firms such as Krauss and Orenstein & Koppel.
Lines were origionally built privately, but by 1958 the Exploitacion de Ferrocarriles por El Estado operated the following lines on behalf of the governentm:
Fc Granada a Sierra Nevada 1925-1974, 13 mile electric line 1200 V DC 4 electric locos 6 trailers 14 freight cars.
Granada - Maitena 18km; 1925.
Maitena - San Juan 1956.
San Juan - La Estella "later date".
Fc de Onda al Grao de Castellon y Villareal-Puerto de Burriana Onda to Castellon. 1888-1963. 25 miles 12 steam locos 35 passenger cars 172 freight. 0-6-0t, 0-6-2t.
Main line 29km
Grao de Castellon - Casellond de la Plana 1888.
Casellon de la plana -Vilarreal 1889.
Villarreal - Onda 1890.
Branch line 14km.
Vilarreal - Burriana 1907-1956, reopened 1960.
Burriana - Grao de Burriana 1907-1936.
Burriana - Porto de Burriana 1948-1956.
Fc Valdepenas a Puertollano Valdepenas to Puertollano. 1924-1963. 47 miles 9 steam locos 1 diesel 17 passenger cars 160 freight. Krauss and Hohenzollern 0-8-0, 0-6-0.
Valdepenas - La Caizada de Calatrava 42km; 1893.
La Caizada de Calatrava 34km; 1903.
Fc de Flassa a Palamos, Gerona y Banolas Palamos - Flassa - Gerona 49km; 1887-1956.
Palamos - Flassa 1887; 33km.
Flassa - Puente Mayor - Gerona 1921; 16km.
Branch line Puente Mayor - Banolas 1928; 14km.
also an independent line
Ferrocarril de San Feliu de Guixois a Gerona San Feliu to Gerona. 25 miles 6 steam locos 21 passenger cars 106 freight cars. 0-6-2t. Two locos are preserved in parks in Gerona. NGW 24, Feb-Mar 2003, p.31.
Fox, M.J., Last Steam Locomotives of Spain and Portugal, London, 1978, Ian Allan Ltd.
Morley, J. & P.G. Spencer, Locomotives & Railcars of the Spanish Narrow Gauge Public Railways, London, 1995, Industrial Railway Society.
58 kms, 1912-present. Does a complete circle right around the island. Built to serve the sugar industry. A scenic train trip has recently been established on this island, using double-deck coaches, probably a world first for narrow gauge railways. http://www.stkittsscenicrailway.com/
The railways are listed in order of increasing gauge. Since on some lines several gauges was used and the actual gauge
on others is uncertain, I have chosen to list a few railways under more gauges than one. Most information on each line
is found under the most used or most plausible gauge. There is doubt whether some of the mentioned gauges actually
were used in Sweden. This is developed further in Some thoughts on the gauges 742 mm - 802 mm.
Some gauges were measured in Swedish feet and inches, i e fot and (verk)tum. 1 fot is 296.9 mm. 1 verktum is 24.74 mm.
12 verktum make 1 fot. However there was also a decimal system applied to the Swedish length measures, as can be
seen in the gauge of 2.7 fot. On other lines the gauge was measured in Imperial feet and inches. 1 foot is 304.8 mm, 1
inch is 25.4 mm. 12 inches make 1 foot. For other lines again metric gauges were used. On one Rhinelandish inches were
used! More on gauges and different length measuring systems in On length measures and railway gauges used in
Sweden and Some thoughts on the gauges 742 mm - 802 mm.
The gauges are listed in their original form, with alternates and measures in mm given in brackets.
For 750 mm and 2.7 fot gauges the lines are divided in public and industrial railways. The rest of the gauges were used
for industrial railways only.
The information given for each line (if known) is listed as follows: railway signature (if any), railway name, time period
of operating on mentioned gauge, length of line, comments (in brackets), links to illustrated web sites (if any).
Industrial railways had neither official signatures nor names. Unofficially some had both. Some of the names given to
the industrial lines in this list are of this kind, but many are just the name of the industry with appendix gruvbana
(mining line) or similar, to be regarded rather as a definition than an actual name of the railway. A few industrial lines
had (unofficial) signatures. These are given in brackets.
30 verktum (=2.5 fot. 742 mm)
Degerhamns Industribanor 1878-1955 32 km (probably actually 740 mm)
Geijersdal - Brattfors Industri och Timmerbana 1902-1932 9 km (later defined as 750 mm
probably because of worn track. Ordered one loco to be used on "the gauge of 742-750 mm"!)
(HBA, HBAB) Hellefors Bruk 1860-1935 (Opened as a horse powered line. Several track
systems. Also 2.7 fot gauge 1870-1967. Owner of 2.7 fot public railway HFJ. See also 2.7 fot)
Links: see 2.7 fot; 2. Other 2,7 fot public railways; HFJ Hällefors - Fredriksbergs Järnväg
Värmbol - Stettin Industribana 1882-1946 2 km ( Actually 730mm, i e 29.5 verktum. Perhaps
narrowed from 30 verktum to achieve steadier running with worn material. Opened as a horse
powered line. Loco 1889. Electric loco experiements 1891, used regularly 1893-1897, before
returning to steam. Motor loco 1932. Standard gauge 1946. Taken over by the State Railways
(SJ) 1953. Closed 1968)
750 mm (German standard)
Public railways (10 km)
Glava Glasbruks Järnväg 1885-1938 10 km (Older spelling: Glafva. Horse powerd line 1885.
Concession for public freight traffic 1896-1897 only. Unofficial passenger traffic 1909-1927 2
days a week, mostly free of charge)
( 750 mm frequently used gauge in mines, especially underground. List below is
Billeruds Sulfitfabrik (Säffle (???)) Dannemora Gruvbanor 1878-1992 (underground initially 600 mm, several tracks. Only short
750 mm tracks of a total of a few hundred meters above ground. All underground tracks still
remain, some above ground too.) Fagersta - Kolningsberg Gruvbana 1915-1945 10 km (Internal traffic till 1982) Geijersdal-Brattfors (see 742mm) Haga Tegelbruksbana 1895-1967 Hofors Bodåsgruvan (underground) Hofors Kristinebergsgruvan (underground) Hällby Tegelbruks och Sandbanor 1885-1916 3.5 km (Horse powered line. Loco used
1915-1916 only) Kiruna Gruv- och Industribanor 190?-???? (Several tracks, several gauges. A total of 240 km
tracks) Kolningsberg - Klackberg Gruvbana 1885-1951 2 km Lönsboda Björkeröd Stenbrottsbana; "Grisabanan" 1901-1908 15 km (Grisabanan = "The
Piggy Line". Possibly 730 mm. Widened in 1908 to 800 mm or 2.7 fot. See further 2.7 fot) Norberg Kärrgruvan (both under and above ground, the latter several kilometers) Nordmark Värmlandsbergsgruvan - Ställbergsbolaget Persbergs Gruve AB Ramhäll Gruva (underground) Renströmsgruvan (underground; in use) Satserup-Vissmossen 1963?-1988? 8 km (Opened 1918 with 600 mm gauge.) Skellefteåfältet (underground; in use) Stridbeck & Lund Makadam AB (Karlskoga) Strömsbruk Industribana 1870- 1967 12,5 km (opened as an oxen powered line with wooden
track. Iron gauge and horses 1885, loco (electric) 1909) Tretjärn - Eldforsen Industribana 1895-1935 3 km (Horse powered line till 1921. Most of the
railway widened to 1435 gauge in 1932) Uppland Nyängsgruvan (underground) Åtvidaberg Zinkgruvan (underground; in use)
760 mm (Austrian standard)
(HvJ) Höganäsverkens Järnväg/Höganäs Gruvbana 1874-1959 45km (Opened 1798 as 1,7 km
horse powered line, gauge appr. 50 verktum (1332 mm). Oldest railway above ground in
Sweden. Originally iron clad wood track, iron rails in 1827. From 1874, when getting the first
loco or maybe earlier when changing track, regauged to 760 mm . Gauge also given as 2 feet 6
inches / 762mm)
2 feet 6 inches
(=2˝ feet / 2.5 feet / 30 inches. 762 mm. British standard) )
Iggesunds Bruk 1869-????
(RSJ) Robertsfors - SikeĂĄ Järnväg, Robertsfors Bruk 1889-1961 9 km. Opened in 1878 as a horse powered line with
only two lengths of a total of 4.5 km of railway track. The rest was wooden track till 1881. Original gauge unknown.
Regauged to 2 feet 6 inches in 1889 when purchasing the first loco. In the official documents of the line the gauge is
given as 750 mm. But the accompanying drawings and sketches prove that this is measured on the wheel flanges..
Electrified in 1900. A short length of track at the loco shed is preserved as a museum railway, however recently inactive.
Loco shed functions as a museum/shelter for the preserved stock. http://user.tninet.se/~mcv896n/
Strömbacka â€“ Moviken Industribana 1884-1953 5 km (Opened as a horse and ox powered line. Loco in
1912 Gauge in later years given as 770 mm when ordering locos.)
Wedevågs Bruk (Arboga?)
30 Rhineland inches (785 mm)
Morgongåva - Molnebo Industribana 1873-1887 3,5km (Iron works owned by a Schlesian company,
hence the gauge. Opened as a horse powered line. Loco in 1874)
Lesjöfors bruk 1917-1947 3,5km (Opened 1855 as a 28 verktum (693 mm) horse powered line. Widened 1917 with the
first loco. Maybe actually 32 verktum, i e 792 mm??? Also standard gauge)
(=2 fot 8 verktum. 792 mm)
Lesjöfors Bruk (see 790 mm)
Sillebotten Gustafsfors Fabrikers AB (St Bör-Ö Silen Timmerbana) (Gauge of the track on
which preserved loco is placed measured as 790 mm. 2 feet 6 inches (762 mm) as given in
Järnvägsdata 1999 obviously wrong)
Skutskär Industribanor 1875-1955 30km (later given as 800 mm when starting using electric
locos. Several track systems, also 1000mm, and standard gauge) 800 mm Lönsboda - Björkeröd Stenbrottsbana "Grisabanan" (see 2.7 fot)
Maltesholms Cementfabrik Industribana (see 2.7 fot)
SkutskĂ¤r Industribanor (see 32 verktum)
BDJ Dalkarlsbergs Järnväg 1907-1953 10 km (The narrow gauge remainings of BDJ after
widening/closing as a result of the 1905 reconstructuion of NKJ that created NBJ. The
BDJ-signature was kept on rolling stock. Passenger traffic ceased in 1940. Sometimes called
"The narrow gauge part of NBJ")
BGJ Bredsjö-Grängens Järnväg 1894 15km (Earlier a horse powered line with 30 verktum
gauge. Became part of BDJ in its first year as a 2.7 fot loco powered line)
SGJ Striberg - Grängens Järnväg 1887-1893 28km (Became part of BDJ in 1894)
WMJ (later VMJ) Viken-Möckelns Järnväg 1872-1893 55km (From 1885 owned by NKJ.
Became part of BDJ in 1894)
KrJ Kroppa Järnväg 1869-1875. 11km. Sometimes called Yngen-Östersjön-Öjevätterns Järnväg.
Opened in 1853 as a horse powered line with a probable gauge of 22 verktum (544 mm),
widened to 28 verktum (693 mm) possibly around 1860. However some sources claim 28
verktum to be the original gauge and 22 verktum an erratic statement originating from the
memoirs of Claes Adelskiöld. Widened to 2.7 fot when first loco was introduced in 1869.
Became a part of ÖWJ, Östra Värmlands Järnväg, in 1874 and was widened to standard
SVJ Säfsnäs(verken) Järnväg 1875-1931 63km (Later spelling Sävsnäs. Became part of HFJ in
WLJ (after 1915 VLJ) Voxna - Lobonäs Järnväg 1908-1932 29km (An illustrated book in
Swedish about the line, Voxna - Lobonäs Järnväg 1908-1932 by Göran Engström, published by
Rimbo Grande in 1996)
Bofors-Björkborn Järnväg 1869-???? Degerfors Järnverk 1875-1981 (besides petrol locos also an electric loco, the latter claimed to be 800 mm gauge)
(GGJ) Guldsmedshyttan - Gullblanka Gruvbana 1908-1933 10km
(HBA, HBAB) Hellefors Bruks AB 1870-1970 (1860-1935 also 30 verktum (742 mm) gauge. Several track systems. Also
owner of HFJ. Some 802 mm stock was used on both HFJ and HBA. 1 km museum track of 28 verktum (693 mm) gauge
opened in 1997) Links: see above 2. Other 2.7 fot public railways, HFJ Hällefors - Fredriksbergs Järnväg Lönsboda-Björkeröd Stenbrottsbana, "Grisabanan" 1908-1932 15 km (possibly 800 mm â€“ most frequently used loco
said to be the gauge of 785 mm, and severly wearing the track. "Grisabanan"= "The Piggy Line". Opened in 1901 with
the gauge of 730 or 750 mm. See also 750mm) Maltesholms Cementfabrik Industribana 1888-1929 (possibly 800mm. Several track systems and gauges.) Saxå Sjöbana /Yngen - Saxens Järnväg ca 1870-1909 3,8km (built 1855 as a horse powered line with the gauge of 28
verktum (693 mm), widened around 1870) Storfors (widened to 802 mm 1869-71) Sågheden - Rössberg Gruvbana 1887-1910 2,5km
Preserved 742 mm - 802 mm gauge rolling stock in Sweden
Information on the stock is given as follows:
locos: Signature or name of railway, inventory number or name, wheel arrangement, manufacturer, manufaturerâ€™s
number/year when built, loco type, comments (within brackets), links. "Motor loco" means gasoline or diesel engine.
coaches, vans and waggons: Signature or name of railway, class + inventory number, type of vehicle, year when built,
comments (within brackets), links
30 verktum / 2,5 fot / 742 mm (7)
Preserved stock that originally had this gauge has been widened to 760 mm (two steam locos and three waggons) and
2.7 fot / 802 mm (two steam locos). See these gauges.
At the yard outside the museum in Höganäs the following four objects
can be found:
HBA 3, 0-4-0, Krauss 1320/1883, steam loco (Originally 30 verktum / 742 mm gauge)
HBA, 4 wheel waggon (Originally 30 verktum / 742 mm gauge. Three wagons preserved)
A diesel loco and some wagons are/were placed in the Höganäs works area close to the shed where the 1435 mm
gauge industrial line ended.
KRISTIANSTADS SÖDRA STATION
In Kristianstad there is one preserved loco:
HBAB 9, 0-4-0, Ljunggren 31/1917, steam loco (Originally 30 verktum / 742 mm gauge)
In Robertsfors eight vehicles are preserved, the largest collection in Sweden of 762 mm / 2,5 feet gauge stock. The
locos are electric (with pantographs), which is unusual on Swedish narrow gauge.
Robertsfors "Johan Vale", Bo, AEG 117/1898, electric loco
Robertsfors "Starkotter", 1898(?), electric loco
Robertsfors "Ettan", BoBo, Asea, 175/1929, electric loco
Robertsfors "TvĂĄan", Bo, Asea 179/1929, electric loco
Robertsfors "Trean", Bo, Asea 188/1930, electric loco
Robertsfors "Femman", Bo, AEG 1914, electric lococ
Robertsfors, 4 wheel coach
Robertsfors, 4 wheel waggon
The largest railway museum in Sweden, considered by many among the world's foremost. The collections depict the
Swedish railway history from the very beginning till today. Most of the material is of course of standard gauge and
from SJ (=The State Railway), but also private lines, narrow gauge as well as standard gauge, are well representated in
the vast collections, including one loco originally built for 30 inches / 2,5 feet / 762 mm gauge:
Robertsfors "Herman Behrman", Bo, AEG 1899, electric loco (regauged to 600 mm)
780 mm (5)
In Blixterboda 7 km north of Frövi five vehicles are preserved:
Wedevågs Bruk "BMJ 01", 0-4-0, 1932, motor loco (?)
Wedevågs Bruk NN 4 wheel flat waggon 1905 (four waggons preserved)
Two locos are in the loco shed of the railway society in Åmål that also runs a standard gauge museum railway:
St Bör - Ö Silens Järnväg, 0-4-0, 1929, motor loco (T-Ford engine. In parts. Not complete)
St Bör - Ö Silens Järnväg, 0-4-0, 1935, motor loco (Buick engine)
In Nora there is a standard gauge museum railway with stock from Bergslagens railways and Swedens largest collection
of stock for 2,7 fot / 802 mm gauge, five vehicles. Presently stationary museum objects, but a short line with this gauge
is under construction.
The largest railway museum in Sweden, by many considered among the world's foremost. The collections depict the
Swedish railway history from the very beginning till today. Most of the material is of course standard gauge from SJ
(=The State Railway), but also private lines, narrow gauge as well as standard gauge, are well representated in the vast
collections, including one coach for 2,7 fot / 802 mm gauge:
SVJ 2, 4 wheel coach, 1859 (Not classed. In later years used as rail bus carriage. Built as "Karl XVâ€™s hunting coach "
1859 for Kristinehamns Järnväg with 44,5 verktum /1101 mm gauge. Regauged when sold to SVJ)
Futhermore the museum has two vehicles associated with Kroppa Järnväg. These however are for 28 verktum / 693
mm gauge and represent the period before the line got locos (and was widened to 802 mm):
4 wheel coach (Reconstruction from 1927 built with original parts like wheel axles etc.)
4 wheel waggon (Year of built unknown. The museum generally gives it as "about 1850". The waggon was used at one
of the mining lines in the region of Storfors. Which one is uncertain, but the museum thinks it stems from Kroppa
In Anten, north east of Göteborg (Gothenburg), a 3 fot / 891 mm gauge museum railway is
situated. Most of the material stems from the 891 mm lines of Västergötland, but there are also
vehicles from other parts of the country, among these three for 2.7 fot / 802 mm gauge. One is
however widened to 891 mm for use in the museum railway traffic. The steam lococ HBA 8 was
originally built for 30 verktum /2,5 fot/ 742 mm gauge:
HBA 1, 0-6-0, Krupp 3610/1956, motor loco http://www.teknikarv.nu/jarnvagar/smalspar/hba/20-hba1.html
HBA 2, 0-6-0, Krupp 3462/1957, motor loco (widened to 891 mm gauge 1972/1973 at AGJ) http://www.teknikarv.nu/jarnvagar/smalspar/hba/21-hba2.html
HBA 8, 0-6-0, O&K 9199/1920, steam loco (Built for 742 mm gauge. Widened to 802 mm in 1931) http://www.agj.net/bevara/anglok8.htm
In Uppsala there is a museum railway with preseved older material primarly from Roslagsbanan (earlier RSJ, today RB)
just south of Stockholm, gauge 3 fot / 891 mm, the only narrow gauge public railway in Sweden - except for museum
railways - that still is in use, a commuter/suburb line with modern stock. Although the collections of ULJ are
concentrating on historic stock of Roslagsbanan, there can also be found two vehicles for 2.7 fot / 802 mm gauge. One
of these is regauged to 891 mm:
HFJ 11, 2-8-2, Motala 954/1947, steam loco
HFJ G18, van (bought by HFJ in the 1950's from SRJ. Original gauge 3 fot / 891 mm. Today restored to this as ULJ F159)
In Mariefred, south of Stockholm, Swedens largest 600 mm gauge museum railway is situated. Among other things here
can be found stock from all seven Swedish 600 mm lines that had passenger traffic. Also single vehicles for other
gauges, among these a motor coach (rail bus) for 2.7 fot / 802 mm gauge:
HFJ motor coach, 2-2-0, HFJ/Volvo 1937
In the loco shed in the harbour of Smedjebacken there are two coaches:
BDJ C8, 4 wheel coach, 1873 (Built for VMJ. Owned by Järnvägsmuseum, Gävle)
BDJ AC9, 4 wheel coach, 1874 (Built for VMJ. Owned by Järnvägsmuseum, Gävle)
In Smedjebacken the remains of a coach body can also be found:
SVJ BC1, 4 wheel coach
Taiwan is part of China, but ruled under a different political system. Between 1896 and the end of World War 2, Taiwan was part of the Japanese Empire.
The Japanese built an extensive network of 30" lines. The Taiwan State Railways had lines on two gauges; 3'6" (or metre?) and 2'6". The 3'6" went down the west coast and the 2'6" down the east side. The east side 2'6" railways were apparently widened in 1982.
There were extensive 2'6" gauge sugar cane lines on the west side, but these all suddenly closed this year! Meiji Sugar Co. Doubtful this company continued operating after the end of WW2.
Neile, A. ed., 1989, W.G.Bagnall Ltd. Narrow Gauge Locomotives & Rolling Stock 1910, Plateway Press, Brighton.
Sigi Eisenbahn Gesellschaft 23km. 1910-1924. Served logging interests and an agricultural research centre. Constructed when Tanzania was a German colony.
Durrant, A.E., A.A. Jorgensen, C.P. Lewis. Steam in Africa, London, 1981, Hamlyn.
Lomé - Anecho 45km. 1902-1907. Started as a pier railway, converted to metre gauge. Costructed when Togo was a German colony.
Durrant, A.E., A.A. Jorgensen, C.P. Lewis. Steam in Africa, London, 1981, Hamlyn.
Sarikamis - Erzurum 174km. 1916-1957, regauged to standard gauge. Built as a supply line by Russian forces in World War 1, it origially extended a further 50km to 100km to Yenikoy or Mamakhatuna ( depending on reference). Used 50 Russian built 0-6-0T and 36 Alco 0-6-0T locos.
Samsun - Carsamba 38km. 1926-1971, regauged to standard gauge. Used 4 - Krauss / Henschell 2-6-0Ts.
Ilica - Palamutluk 11km. closed 1958. Listed in one place on the following website as 600mm, but in another it is recorded that 7 Krauss tanks purchaced in 1893 for this line were 750mm gauge. http://www.trainsofturkey.com/index.htm
There are three 750mm gauge lines operated by UZ, the Ukrainian state railways at present: Antonovka, the Gajvoron system and the Beregovo system. All three operate daily passenger services and there is believed to still be some freight traffic at Antonovka and Gajvoron.
Antonovka - built as a forestry railway in about 1904, by 1915 reaching 78km main line with a 35km branch, taken over by PKP (Polish state railway) between the wars and operated as a public railway. Under Soviet control after the Second World War it became a forestry railway again, in 1964 it was taken over by the state railway, a new line was built to Zarecnoye and the last few kilometres of the old line were closed. Passenger services were introduced between Antonovka and Zarecnoye (110km). The branch line closed in 1974. One train runs each way daily.
Gajvoron - part of the extensive network built by the First Russian Supply Railway Company, which once extended to a network of 703km. Various sections were converted to broad gauge over the years, and by the time Ukraine became an independent state there remained 'only' Rudnitsa - Gajvoron - Podgoradnaja (188km) and Rudnitsa - Kamenka (43km). The latter line extended at its western end across the new international border into Moldova, and there were problems with a quasi-independent state which led to closure of the Rudnitsa - Kamenka line. At the eastern end construction started of a broad gauge line which was intended to replace the whole of the narrow gauge between Gajvoron and Podgoradnaja, but this has not been completed. The narrow gauge now extends as far east as Golovanivsk. There is probably one train per day each way between Gajvoron and Golovanivsk and one per day between Gajvoron and Rudnitsa. On about three days per week there is another working between Gajvoron and Rudnitsa. These two sections probably total around 150km. The line is probably unique in operating services with 'sleeping' coaches, with two levels of hard wooden benches along each side of the coach.
Beregovo - when this area was still part of the Hungarian empire, a 760mm gauge railway opened in 1908 from Beregovo to Dowge (67km) with a 19km branch from Hmelnik to Vinogradov. In 1909 it was extended to Kusnitsa and a few years later another branch opened, bringing the network up to 106km. Between the wars it was operated by the Czech state railway but after the Second World War the area became part of the Soviet Union and the system was converted to 750mm gauge. Beyond Kusnitsa was a forestry system. From the early 1980s passenger services ran only on the Hmelnik - Vinogradov section, but in 1992 services were revived on the Hmelnik - Irsava section of the main line. In 1994 passenger services were also revived on the Beregovo - Hmelnik section, but they lasted less than a year. Freight traffic ended in 1998 and there are now only passenger services worked as two separate sections Hmelnik - Vinogradov and Hmelnik - Irsava. The Beregovo - Hmelnik section is still used to move locomotives and rolling stock between the workshops at Beregovo and Hmelnik, but sees no revenue earning traffic. When I visited in 2003 the line was in a poor condition, but patronage of the Hmelnik - Vinogradov line remained fairly strong. I understand there are proposals to set up an independent operation here.
The only surviving forestry line in Ukraine is at Vygoda. This has its origins in a 760mm gauge line begun just before the First World War and completed under Polish administration. Other lines were added so that it eventually reached about 160km in extent, following regauging to 750mm after the Second World War. For a short time it was linked to the Brosniv system, giving a total network of over 450km. In the 1980s there was a passenger service to carry forestry workers up each of the two main routes on Mondays, and back to Vygoda on Fridays, and there was also a service of two trains a day on the lower section of one of the lines, to serve the general public. In June 1998 a storm caused immense damage to the system, and the loss of several bridges led to three isolated operations being carried on. These however declined until a change of ownership in 2000 brought about a revival, so that now the western half of the system is operating again, carrying forestry workers and timber on a daily basis.
Other state railway lines that have closed include Vapnjarka - Jampol (56km, opened 1923, closed 1999); Novopoltavka - Vladimirovka (32km, opened after the Second World War to 600mm gauge based on a German military line, converted to 750mm gauge in 1969, closed 1999), Uzgorod - Antalovce (built as a 760mm gauge Hungarian military forestry line in the First World War, taken over by Czech state railways as a public carrier after the war, continued as a state railway under Soviet control regauged to 750mm, closed in 1970s). Forestry lines that have closed include Teresva (once extended to 138km but closed in 1998 following flood damage) and Brosniv (once had 130km of lines, linked to other systems as well, mostly closed after flood damage in 1998 but some isolated sections may still see some traffic). There were a host of other forestry lines, several of which operated public passenger services at times. A list will have to suffice:
Rokitno - built by PKP in 1921, over 50km long, transferred to forestry use after WWII, mostly closed 1974, part still in use in sawmill 1999.
Selets-Ben'kow - originally 600mm gauge, built before or during WWI, may have been converted to 750mm gauge, closed 1958.
Brody - 760mm forestry line built 1913, 38km long, partially destroyed in WWI, operated by Poles between the wars over 18km, possibly as 600mm gauge, destroyed in 1941.
Verch. Sin'ovidne - 800mm gauge forestry line built 1895, extended at various times to a maximum extent of 75km, regular summer passenger traffic from 1935, converted to 750mm gauge after WWII, largely destroyed by flooding 1968.
Yavora - 760mm gauge forestry line about 10km long built before WWI, closed about 1937.
Turka - 760mm gauge forestry line built 1907 extended to about 25km, converted to 750mm after WWII, closed about 1960.
Sokoliki - 760mm gauge forestry line built 1906 extended to over 30km, closed in 1930s.
Dolina - 760mm gauge forestry line opened 1905, over 30km long, converted to 750mm after WWII, closed 1965.
Bolechov - 760mm forestry line opened about 1912, over 30km long, converted to 750mm after WWII, closed 1950.
Rozhnatov - forestry line linked with Brosniv.
Porohy - forestry line linked with Brosniv.
Skole - 800mm forestry line opened 1888 eventually reaching around 40km of routes, tourist trains ran in late 30s, converted to 750mm after WWII, closed after storm damage in 1970.
Zelemyanka - 800mm forestry line opened in 1880s, converted to 760mm gauge 1890, two lines totalling less than 20km, tourist trains ran in 1930s, closed soon after WWII.
Nadvornaya - 760mm forestry line built 1897, extending eventually to over 70km of lines, passenger service introduced in 1930s, converted to 750mm in 1947, most of line closed after flooding in 1968, rest in 1978.
Delyatin - 760mm forestry line built 1920/1, 13km of track, closed 1948-50.
Mikulichin - 760mm forestry line built 1910/11 eventually 21km long, converted to 750mm after WWII, closed 1969 after flood damage.
Vorokhta - 760mm forestry line opened 1895, passenger services for tourists introduced 1938, converted to 750mm and other lines built after WWII, closed 1965.
Chattenden & Upnor (England) also known as Lodge Hill & Upnor 1885-1961. 4 miles. Extensively operated railway moving armaments and personnel firstly for the army then the navy. http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/12/lodge_hill.htm Sittingbourne & Kemsley (England) Used for transport between Bowaters paper mills located in the towns of its name, and the docks on the Thames. http://www.sklr.net/ NGW 19, June 2002, pp.34-39. Whipsnade Zoo (England) Used loco from the Sittingbourne & Kemsley http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/99 NGW 8, Aug/Sep 2000, pp.41-44. Richardsons Peat Works, Longtown, Cumbria Dalmunzie Hotel, Perth & Kinross 20hp Simplex Solway Moss, L&P Peat, Cumbria 20/28hp Simplex Cladance Moss, Sinclair Horticultural, 40S Simplex Florence Iron Ore Mine,Egremont, Cumbria. Underground, battery loco. Royal Navy Armament Depot, Dean Hill, Hampshire. Department of Environment, Reesdale Ranges, Northumberland. Military target railway. Harworth Collery, UK Coal PLC, Bircotes, Nottinghamshire. Underground mine. Gascoine Wood, UK Coal PLC, South Milford, North Yorkshire. Underground mine. Kellingley Collery, UK Coal PLC, Kellingley, North Yorkshire. Underground mine. Kellingley Training Centre, UK Coal PLC, Kellingley, North Yorkshire. Training railway. Riccall Collery, UK Coal PLC, Riccall, North Yorkshire. Underground mine. Stillingfleet Collery, UK Coal PLC, Stillingfleet, North Yorkshire. Underground mine. Wistow Collery, UK Coal PLC, Wistow, North Yorkshire. Underground mine. Prince of Wales Collery, UK Coal PLC, Pontefract, South Yorkshire. Underground mine. Springfield Moss, Sinclair Horticultural, Leadburn, Lothian. Auchencorth Moss, Sinclair Horticultural, Leadburn, Lothian. Ardeer Works, ICI Explosives, Ardeer, Strathclyde. Royal Ordinance PLC, Bishopton, Strathclyde. Ryeflat Moss, Sinclair Horticultural, Carnwath, Strathclyde. Recently installed. Cladence Moss, Sinclair Horticultural, Carnwath, Strathclyde. Installed 1998. Shotton Works, British Steel, Deeside, Clwyd. Florence Tramway, North Molten, North Devon. Served local mines in 19th Century. Hoo Ness Tramway, Admiralty, Thames estuary.
Neile, A. ed., 1989, W.G.Bagnall Ltd. Narrow Gauge Locomotives & Rolling Stock 1910, Plateway Press, Brighton. A.C. Bealey & Sons Ltd., Radcliffe, Lancashire. Moved coal from a canal to works.
Neile, A. ed., 1989, W.G.Bagnall Ltd. Narrow Gauge Locomotives & Rolling Stock 1910, Plateway Press, Brighton. Lunedale Whinstone Co., Middleton-in-Teeside.
Neile, A. ed., 1989, W.G.Bagnall Ltd. Narrow Gauge Locomotives & Rolling Stock 1910, Plateway Press, Brighton. Storefield Ironstone Pits, Northants. This line later replaced by standard gauge.
Neile, A. ed., 1989, W.G.Bagnall Ltd. Narrow Gauge Locomotives & Rolling Stock 1910, Plateway Press, Brighton. Winchburgh Shale Mines Oakbank Oil Co., Lothian, Scotland. Eletrified tramway.
Neile, A. ed., 1989, W.G.Bagnall Ltd. Narrow Gauge Locomotives & Rolling Stock 1910, Plateway Press, Brighton. Provan Gas Works Glasgow. Jees Hartshill Granite & Brick Co., nr Atherton, Nuneaton, Warks., Alts. Gauge 2'6½"; Hunslet WD 4-6-0t. http://hughesi.460.users.btopenworld.com/shortcopy.html RNAD Broughton Moor, Cumberland. 1943?-1992? Operated small diesel locos. http://www.amertonrailway.co.uk/amertonlocoyard70.htm St. Austell & Pentewan Railway Army Longmoor Military Railway Army railway school.
Welshpool & Llanfair (Wales) As the original equipment for this line was two tiny, ancient tank engines, the operators have scoured the world for locos to operate this tourist line, which now sees traffic far in excess of its public carrier predecessor. http://www.wllr.org.uk/ http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/26
Thorne, G. Scrapbook of Narrow Gauge Drawings 1996, 7mm Narrow Gauge Association. NGW 8, Aug/Sep 2000, p.25. NGW 18, April 2002, pp.45-46. NGW 28, Aug-Sep 2003, pp.26-29.
Ahukini Terminal & Railway (Kauai, Hawaii) 1920-1934?59?. 10 miles. 0-6-0 tender locos and Ford tractor loco. Equipment to Lihue Plantation. http://www.ngrrlines.com/
Kauai Railway (Kauai, Hawaii) 1906-1933?47? 19 miles 0-4-2T, 0-6-2Ts, and Whitcomb diesels. Mileage varied, with trackage taken over from and given back to industrial operations. http://www.ngrrlines.com/
Camden, Gloucester & Mt. Ephriam Railway Co (New Jersey) This railroad sometimes quoted as 30" has now been positively identified as 36".
Gifford Lumber Mills Logging (2'7")about 8 miles 1880-1895 standard gauged. Hot Springs County http://www.ngrrlines.com/ Wyandotte Log Railway (2'7") about 8 miles, Hot Springs and Grant Counties Fort Smith Lumber Co. Logging. http://www.ngrrlines.com/
Muscogee Lumber Co., Pensacola - predates 1878. Porter supplied an 0-4-0T in 1872. Fort Wilderness Railroad, Disney World. now removed, the engines at least appear now to be in the hands of people intent on their presevation. http://www.fortwildernessrr.com/default.htm
A.G. Martin Porter supplied an 0-4-0T in 1872. Rising Fawn Furnace Co. Porter supplied an 0-6-0 in 1874.
Laclede-Christy. ?-1950's. Firebrick manufacturer in St Louis, with tracks down city lanes and across major streets. 2 x Davenport 0-4-0t, one of which survives in a local museum. http://www.pearcedale.com/c&b/Laclede-Christy.html Vulcan Steel Co. Porter supplied an 0-4-0 in 1875. St. Louis Ore & Steel Co. St. Louis. Porter supplied an 0-4-0 in 1882.
Brown, Bonel & Co. Youngstown. 32" gauge. Porter supplied an 0-4-0T in 1882. Cambridge Coal Co. Cambridge. 31" gauge. Porter supplied an 0-4-0T in 1883.
Portland Zoo 1958-present. 4 miles. 1x4-4-0, 2 diesels. http://www.oregonzoo.org/AboutZoo/train.htm Owen-Oregon Lbr. Co./Medford Corp. Medford, OR
30" mill yard locos:
#1 Baldwin C/N 59227 06-26 18 HP Battery Electric
#2 Baldwin C/N 59278 06-26 18 HP Battery Electric
Lukens Steel, Coatesville, 2 - 30 inch gauge Heislers Federal Refactories Co. Mine. 1900-1909, 3 miles, http://www.ngrrlines.com/ Wajenhorst (J.J.) Co. Logging. 2 miles. http://www.ngrrlines.com/ Hall & Kaul St Marys. Porter supplied an 0-4-0T in 1878. Edgar Thompson Steel Co. Pittsburgh. Porter supplied 0-4-0's in 1881. Cameron Coal Co. Cameron. Porter supplied an 0-4-0T in 1874. Chestnut Hill Iron Ore Co. Columbia. Porter supplied an 0-4-0T in 1882. St. Mary's Coal Co. St. Marys. Porter supplied an 0-6-0T in 1883. Pittsburgh-Bessemer Steel Co. Pittsburgh. Porter supplied an 0-4-0 in 1884.
Lacey Lumber Co., Shay, Rapid City. Warren-Lamb Lumber Co. Both 2'6" and 3'. Logging. 1907-1938. 73 miles. http://www.ngrrlines.com/
Tennesee La Grange Iron Co. Danville. 30.5" gauge. Porter supplied an 0-4-0 in 1882 Knoxville Iron Co. Knoxville. 32" gauge. Porter supplied an 0-6-0 in 1884.
F.C. Altagracia el Mene 2'6" 35 miles 3 diesel locos 4 gasoline locos 4 railcars 1 coach 12 freight cars (1958)
An eight ton 2-4-0 rod-connected diesel-mechanical presumily came from the FCAM, or was there another?.
This vast 760mm system totaled 2,453km or 1,470 miles. The main line between Belgrade, Sarajevo, and Dubrovnik was 673km long, with a figure-8 spiral and rack sections, and at one time hosted sleeping and dining car service. Commenced independently by the Austrio-Hungarian empire in Bosnia in 1879, and the independent kingdom of Serbia in 1910, the system was completed by the state of Yugoslavia, which was born out of the First World War. The final lines were not constructed until as late as 1948. Locos included 2-6-6-2 and 2-6-6-0 mallet locos, amongst the most powerful 2'6" locos built, as well as the odd Kloss articulateds, and efficient 0-8-2 and 2-8-2 types. Some lines were converted to standard gauge in the 1960's however new equipment was still being purchaced as late as 1968. A change in govenment policy saw a rapid decline and closure in the 1970's.
Bosanski Brod - Derventa 28 Km
Zavidovici - Olovo 85 Km
Bijelina - Bosanska Mezgraja 35 Km
Zajecar - Boljevac 42 Km
Prijedor - Licka Kaldrma 228 Km
Mliniste - Srnetica 53 Km
Lasva - Sipovo 134 Km
Donji Vakuf - Gornji Vakuf 34 Km
Sarajevo - Lajkovac 355 Km
Lajkovac - Mladenovac 75 Km
Ustipraca - Miljevina 66 Km
Mededa - Priboj 54 Km
Capljina - Dubrovnik 131 Km
Uskoplje - Zeleneka 78 Km
Hum - Niksic 161 Km